Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Monday, October 26, 2009
- Twice the size it was anticipated.
- Inaugural convention.
- A large meet of a particular fandom.
- Fairly easy-going regimentation. (Open carry of toy guns!)
- Small group of closely related people.
- Inaugural 'large scale' meet.
- A meet of a single sub-set of a fandom in a platform.
- Little regimentation.
- Larger group of somewhat related people.
- Fifth such meet.
- A meet of anyone in the platform.
- Some regimentation, but not a great deal.
- Twitter would be a useful tool. "I'm at Salon B." "Going to lunch in 20." Follow who you want to, be available to those who follow you.
- 20 or so virtual steamlanders showed up, we packed the little salon room we had.
- Costuming was fantastic. Everyone advised to bring something, even if it's just a cap and suspenders. Better than 90% of the con goers were costumed full time.
- Virtual steamlanders were a bit of an unknown to steampunk at large.
- We made a decent showing, and this is definitely a winning convention. See you there in 2010.
- It was pretty big, I know Doctor Oblonsky was there, but I didn't manage to bump into him.
- I would have liked to hang out with Terry Lightfoot and Darkling Elytis a bit more, but again, huge con, and so much to do, so many people. (Twitter might have been a help for making oneself more available, findable.)
- Me, run Twitter at international data roaming rates? ZOMG-NO. Need to look into pay as you go data chips for Blackberry while in Seattle.
- Random thought for Caledonians or other related allies interested, taking a day ferryboat trip to Victoria, BC for tea at the Empress. (Need to book ahead two weeks at least. Take extra day after the con?)
- Next year's theme: The Weird West. Naturally, Steelhead will be heavily involved.
- Still lots of people around during the Abney Park concert, not everyone could get a ticket/was a fan. You won't be the lone weirdo in the lobby.
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Monday, October 12, 2009
Sunday, October 11, 2009
With a shout out to my friend Cedric. Cedric, I'm ashamed I didn't react perfectly when you came out, but you paved the way for future friends of mine who subsequently came out and I could only react with, "Cool. So where you wanna get lunch?"
Seriously, watch this video through.
Little update. I bought his book.